MangaCat

MangaCat's Blog

I read manga and books. I usually read Fantasy, Sci-fi, and Horror. I also read other books or manga that are not within those genres.

2018 Reading Challenge

2018 Reading Challenge
AR has read 45 books toward their goal of 50 books.
hide
SPOILER ALERT!

The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind! Volume 1

The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind! Volume 1 - Gamei Hitsuji, himesuz, Hikoki

When I first read the summary of this light novel, I was worried that Suimei would be an extremely unlikable character. However, when I started reading the story, my worries were put to rest. While he does have some jerk moments, he is a surprisingly not a horrible character. The volume does go into some details into why he behaves in specific ways like the reason for not telling his friends that he's a magician. The side characters like Suimei's friends were okay. Reiji has a personality similar to the other light novel protagonists, and it was neat to see the differences between Reiji's and Suimei's personalities. Mizuki was a typical sweet girl and is a little underdeveloped compared to the rest of the cast. I admit I couldn't stand Felmenia at first, but later in the book, her personality began to grow on me. I hope to see more development for the rest of the cast.

I enjoyed reading about the differences between the magic systems between the worlds, and the techniques used by the characters. Fortunately, it wasn't too tedious to read, and there wasn't a lot of technobabble. The illustrations in this book were neat and helpful for me to understand some parts of the story.

Since I was reading the pre-pub version of the story on the J-Novel Club website, I encountered some typos in the text. Hopefully, those mistakes are corrected before the volume officially goes on sale.

Readers who are in the mood for more isekai stories should check this series out.

(show spoiler)