MangaCat

MangaCat's Blog

I read manga and books. I usually read Fantasy, Sci-fi, and Horror. I also read other books or manga that are not within those genres.

2018 Reading Challenge

2018 Reading Challenge
AR has read 45 books toward their goal of 50 books.
hide

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 3

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 3: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now - Erica Henderson, Ryan North

DNF: Page 49

I checked out this book while I was doing my Comixology free trial and the work did not click with me.

The artwork was a bit offputting for me. It wasn't terrible, but I didn't like the art style because of how the facial expression was drawn. Most of the characters share the same goofy looking faces in the panels I read. I don't mind silly facial expressions for a few scenes, but frequently seeing them becomes old.

The main thing that I couldn't stand in this book was the writing. I'm willing to deal with art styles I don't like if the story or writing is intriguing and entertaining (Higurashi and Umineko visual novels for example). Unfortunately, the comic's writing was the weakest point. It tries too hard to be funny and quirky. The worst part would have to be when the writer points out stuff to the reader like this example: "From Wikipedia. You can tell because this looks a lot like a Wikipedia entry." Lines like that example happen a lot in this comic from the panels to the margins at the bottom of the pages. I don't find those funny, and it breaks me away from the plot.

This comic was not for me.